Book 1 Post 1: Putting the Rabbit in the Hat
As a huge fan of the show "Succession," I was immediately drawn to Brian Cox's autobiography and decided to pick "Putting the Rabbit in the Hat" as my first read for WRIT340. The ruthless media mogul Logan Roy had inspired a legion of followers, but I knew nothing about the actor who brought this magnetic character to life. After reading the blurb of Cox's biography, I was surprised to learn that he had overcome many childhood tragedies to pursue an illustrious acting career. It was intriguing to think about how his experiences might have influenced his portrayal of Logan Roy. I chose the book hoping to get a glimpse into the life of the man behind the character, curious about the stories and insights Cox would share about his life both on and off the screen.
I've only read a couple of chapters so far, but I was particularly intrigued by the foreword written by executive producer Frank Rich. It served as a great hook, attesting to Brian Cox's character and strong work ethic. There was one anecdote about a particular scene in "Succession" where Brian Cox had no dialogue. His only job was to sit there and convey the complex emotions Logan experiences as he listens to his son's betrayal during a press conference. It was then that I realized how much really goes into bringing characters to life. The unspoken moments can reveal just as much as the scenes with dialogue. It's clear that Rich greatly admires Cox's skills and his ability to communicate volumes through subtle facial expressions, especially emotions as complex as feeling both pride in his son and betrayal at the same time. I am excited to read more of the book and learn about how Cox discovered his passion for acting and developed his acting skills!
Comments
Post a Comment