Book 1 Post 2 - Putting the Rabbit in the Hat by Brian Cox
As I read more of Brian Cox’s autobiography, I was deeply struck by how real and raw the material was. Cox doesn't hold back in sharing his life's story, acknowledging the ways his past has molded him. Through anecdotes of his parents and his sisters, Cox provides a candid portrayal of working-class society in Scotland during his formative years. Cox's assertion that “we Scots are a peripatetic, nomadic lot” encapsulates a broader sentiment that permeates the narrative. This theme of restless movement and the yearning for escape is not merely a backdrop, but a powerful force shaping the lives of Brian Cox and his family. The desire to flee Dundee, as expressed by his mother and sisters, represents their collective goal to break free from their immediate environment and the cycle of poverty. Cox paints a picture of a society where the working class, particularly women, were pigeonholed into rigid roles — expected to "knuckle down, bear children, and tough shit if you don't like it."
I was particularly moved by the story of Brian Cox’s mother and her life. She was never able to escape Dundee and always felt trapped, both physically in place and emotionally through marriage. It was difficult to read about her battle with severe depression and the repeated suicide attempts. This brought my attention to the stark reality of mental health issues in a society ill-equipped to address them. It’s clear that Cox was well aware of his mother’s suffering but he did not know how to help her, especially as a young child.
I am beginning to understand why acting and the theater was so compelling to Cox. It provided a means of escape and purpose in his life. Cox’s relationship with acting became somewhat a beacon of liberation from his hard childhood. He started out as an assistant’s assistant and was tasked with tedious errand-boy work. However, it was clear that this work provided a sense of purpose for him. It made him feel special and important. I could understand how Cox felt invisible during much of his childhood. His father died when he was eight years old and in dealing with this tragedy, his mother was not there for him. His sisters were also unable to substitute his parents and properly raise him. The theater offered Cox a new community where he felt he truly belonged.
Wen-Hsin, you are such an amazing and talented writer! I have a lot of Scottish ancestry in my family so this post made me want to potentially read this book for my "book 2". Not only that but I can also relate to the story of Brian Cox's mother and how she experienced feeling trapped both physically and mentally. There have been many times throughout my life where I have felt trapped in the physical and mental sense and it has really effected my mental health.
ReplyDeleteHi Wen-Hsin, I really enjoyed reading your post reflecting on the book you read! I was intrigued by how deeply you were able to grasp Cox's experiences and interpret the stories from his perspective. The way that you were able to relate to a larger issue at hand, about mental health and society is a key takeaway from your writing that inspired me to read this book in the future. Great post!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Wen-Hsin, I also read this book and I thought you did an amazing job describing it. And yes, he defiantly is brutally honest and held nothing back. You made an excellent point about acting being Cox's way of escapism, finding community, and a way out of poverty. Even during his father's funeral, he turned to the television set to escape. I also thought you did a great job of articulating the challenges Cox's mother faced and I also found those parts of the book to be moving.
ReplyDeleteHey Wen-Hsin, I just read your post and thought I would drop a comment. I did not read this book, but I think you did a really good job at prefacing it for an uneducated reader. Given your post, it seems as though Brian Cox has gone through numerous of hardships throughout his life and it is super cool to see how he used acting as an outlet -- I feel as though all talented people have some sort of chip on their shoulder like Cox has.
ReplyDeleteHi Wen-Hsin, thank you for sharing the story of Brian Cox! I’m glad you ended up choosing this book, so now I get to learn a bit more about the actor from one of my favorite shows “Succession.” I think you made a great point that theatre and acting probably served Cox as a mental relief and escape from his terrible reality. Acting allowed him to be free from his reality and live many different lives on stage, reinstalling the belief that there is still hope and beauty in the world. Additionally, a lot of successful actors tend to suffer tremendously growing up. I think it’s because of their suffers, they are able to tap into their emotions so much better than others, giving them the talent to bring all these amazing characters to live.
ReplyDelete