Random Post 2
Random 2, Post 2: The Science of Happiness
I’ve been listening to a lot of Dr. Andrew Huberman’s podcasts recently. For those who are unfamiliar, Huberman is a neuroscience professor at Stanford and shares a lot of his research and findings on his podcast series. I like that his podcasts are rooted in science. He tackles a large range of topics from optimizing sleep to emotional regulation to the effects of drugs on the brain and body. I find his series very digestible and I’ve been trying to incorporate his tools and advice into to my day to day life. I thought I would share some of my main takeaways here:
The Science of Happiness: My biggest takway from this podcast is SUNLIGHT. I had no idea that sunlight has such a big effect on our general mood and energy levels. Huberman recommends getting 10 minutes of direct sunlight as soon as you wake up every morning. This serves as a natural wake-up call and increases early-day cortisol release to prepare the body for better sleep at night. The effects of light on our circadian rhythm is extremely important and good quality sleep is key to promoting overall mental and physical health. I live across the street from Marshall at Icon Plaza and I will often take my walk around the rose garden in the mornings. Although it is difficult to say whether or not I can clearly observe a difference in my sleep quality, I do enjoy this morning routine and the weather in Los Angeles is perfect for this daily ritual.
Journaling to Improve Mental Health: In another podcast, Huberman discussed the profound benefits of journaling about challenging life experiences to improve mental well-being. He outlined a specific protocol that has been replicated over 200 times, demonstrating significant reductions in baseline stress levels for weeks, months, and even years following the exercise. The protocol entails journaling about one's most difficult life experience for 15-30 minutes, repeated four times over four consecutive days. I have just completed my first day of this exercise and I am curious as to if I can noticeably feel any positive effects. This protocol also reminds me of the writing exercises we do in class and I’m sure Professor Hansen can attest to the powers of expressive writing.
- Social Connections & Dopamine Release: One final takeaway I would like to share is Huberman’s discussion on how social connections and oxytocin directly triggers dopamine release ("feel-good" neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward). I’ve noticed how social media and fitness influencers often promote exercises such as cold water baths to trigger dopamine release and improve our general mental health. However, I think it’s equally important to talk about the how engaging in the pursuit of healthy and quality social interactions is just as vital to stimulating the dopamine pathways and circuits. Yes, this might seem obvious to most but maintaining my social relationships has become a top priority in my life. I think it’s easy to place social connections on the backburner when trying to juggle other pressures such as our academics and career aspirations. However, I believe that prioritizing our social connections is crucial for long-term well-being and fulfillment.
Hi Wen-Hsin,
ReplyDeleteI've always been curious about happiness too. Your post is super insightful -- I like how you emphasize the key takeaways in 3 separate paragraphs. I definitely agree that sunlight plays a huge role in happiness -- my mood is typically so much better when the weather is nice and sunny compared to a cold, gloomy day. Getting in sunlight in the morning makes a huge difference on my energy level, mood, and productivity throughout my day, so I have also been working on getting in a morning walk outside. I've also heard about journaling, but haven't tried it much myself. I know we did it a little at the start of the semester, so I took inspiration from that and wrote what I am grateful for on a notes page. It surprisingly made me a lot happier and improved my mood almost instantly. Finally, social interactions / dopamine release is definitely something I relate to as a contributor to my mood. My mood is significantly better when I see my friends or get in a good workout than when I stay home on a cold rainy day. Even talking to close friends over the phone instantly boosts my mood, so I see how important this is on happiness. I am much happier on days where I have time to see friends and get in a workout than on days where I'm too busy or too tired (usually around midterms, bad weather, or due to poor sleep). Overall, great post!
Hi Wen-Hsin, thanks for sharing your insights from Dr. Andrew Huberman's podcasts! It's intriguing to learn about the significant impact of sunlight on our well-being, the profound benefits of journaling on mental health, and the crucial role of social connections in triggering dopamine release. Your commitment to applying these findings is truly inspiring, like your morning walks for sunlight exposure and starting the journaling protocol. It's a beautiful reminder of the importance of taking care of ourselves and our overall happiness and well-being.
ReplyDelete