World We Imagine - Part 1
The "big issues" we face as a society often feel overwhelmingly daunting and too big to even approach. Topics like climate change, poverty, inequality, global health, and human rights violations seem insurmountable, especially for a 22-year-old college student like myself. Just navigating the journey to independence feels like a monumental task, let alone making a significant positive impact on the world. Even smaller, more personal problems can appear impossible to change. When I see the issue of homelessness on Skid Row, read headlines about the devastation from Taiwan's recent earthquake, or receive DPS notifications about attempted rape, I'm left feeling so helpless. I'm at a loss as to how I can contribute to making any of this better in any meaningful way.
I think it’s important to recognize that even small actions can contribute to positive change. Instead of trying to tackle global issues single-handedly, I want to focus on making a difference in my local community. My first step in making the world a better place begins with one person. This one person is not a specific indivudal but rather a mindset. I hope to make a difference one person at a time.
When I was in high school I volunteered with several non-profit organizations. I worked with children at a learning center for kids with autism and also taught children how to swim at an orphanage. As I’m moving to NYC this summer, I hope to find similar organizations with missions and values that I identify with. It would be extremely rewarding and purposeful to be able to help even just one person's life slightly better.
Beyond this, I also want to be good to the people in my life. I want to continue to be a compassionate, understanding, and kind person. I want to be make a difference through my friendships, my work relationships, and all the people I may encounter in my day to day life. I think that even small acts of kindness from a stranger can enforce and remind us of the human values we hope to build as a community.
Lastly, I recognize that I need to take care of my own well-being before charging forth and confronting many of the weighty issues in this world (big or small). Being kind to myself allows me to sustain my efforts over the long term and remain resilient in the face of adversity. Whether it's practicing meditation, engaging in hobbies that bring me joy, or seeking support from friends, prioritizing self-care enables me to maintain a strong core of strength and calm to continue my journey towards creating positive change.
Hi Wen-Hsin,
ReplyDeleteI can also relate to your feelings of helplessness as I also do not know how/where to start. I really love how you put it into the perspective of being a good person to those around you as a way to build a community. I think it truly does start with simple things like that, that can make a big difference in people's lives. I also believe that it is easy to forget to take care of yourself, especially when life gets so busy and hectic. Overall, I really loved reading your post!
Hello Wen-Hsin, you are very right about that for us as college students there was rarely anything we could do at that moment to change anything. I am also doing the small things just like your volunteer activities as well to make our society better. I was teaching at a local elementary school this semester. Although it was a weekly activity I still think I was contributing to the community in a way that we could potentially achieve.
ReplyDeleteHi Wen-Hsin, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I strongly agree with your words and being there for the people around you. Apart from everything going on in our lives, I think the people that are there for us also deserve the love and compassion back, and reciprocation is something that I very much value. At the same time, holding your ground and making sure you can take care of yourself before you can be there for others is our responsibility and a necessity - it's something that I've been working on recently as we prepare to move onto the next chapter of our lives. Great post!
ReplyDelete